I love decorating for fall and Halloween. Since fall official starts (in the northern hemisphere) this coming week, I figured it’s time to start some new decorations to add to the season.
For this week’s free design, I’ve included the cute Layered Ghost SVG and a printable background. Feel free to use the ghost without the background, or use the background with other projects. It’s can be so fun to mix and match different designs to come up with your own twist on projects.
To create the look above, I used 7 sheets of 8.5″x11″ cardstock and one sheet of 12″x12″ cardstock. Along with the paper, you’ll need some foam tabs and glue.
I don’t mind if you use these designs for personal or small business commercial use up to 200 items, but please do not re-sell or re-distribute the files. I’d ask that you direct your crafty friends here to download the files themselves. Also, I don’t allow my designs to be used in print-on-demand shops or on transfers that will be sold. Click HERE for complete Terms of Service.
Materials Needed for Layered Ghost Shadowbox
- 65lb. cardstock
- Shadowbox Frame
- Foam Tabs
- Spray Adhesive
- Art Glitter Glue – This is my favorite liquid adhesive glue (there’s no glitter in it).
- Light grip mat (blue)
- Cricut Maker – or your favorite cutting machine
- Design #147 – Layered Ghost SVG and Halloween Background– The free cut file (available in my freebie vault—get the password at the bottom of this post).
- Grab The FREE Layered Ghost SVG and Halloween Background
Download the Layered Ghost zip file from my freebie vault. To join my email list and access all my free designs, see the sign-up form near the end of this post.
Unzip and upload to Cricut Design Space
Are you new to working with Cricut and need help with how to upload cut files? My How To Upload SVG Files In Cricut Design Space post will provide step-by-step directions on uploading SVGs to Design Space.
- Prepare the layered ghost in Cricut Design Space. All that will be needed for this design is to determine the size you'd like to cut the ghost. Then click "Make It."
I cut the Recollections cardstock on Medium Cardstock setting with my Maker. I always recommend a test cut as machines do vary a bit, and the age of your blade will also affect each cut.
- Once Design Space is set, you're ready to prepare your mat. Use a brayer when working with cardstock to keep the paper from moving. This greatly reduces tearing, especially with intricate paper designs.
- After the cut completes, remove the paper from the mat. Turn the mat upside down on the work surface and gently bend the mat away from the paper while keeping the cardstock as flat as possible.
- The background file has been saved in JPG and PNG file formats sized as 8.5"x11" and 12"x12". I love my Canon Printer as I print on 12"x12" cardstock.
- Because Cricut Design Space is limited for print then cut sizes, I used my Cricut paper trimmer to easily cut the background to fit my 9"x9" frame size.
- Once all layers are cut, you're ready to assemble.
- Attach the Boo! to the offset using your favorite glue.
- Next, we'll focus our attention on the top three layers of the ghost. Using a box (for overspray), I lightly spray the first intricate layer of the ghost to the second layer. Then repeat the spray process and add the ghost's outline. Next, glue the eyes and mouth using regular glue.
- Now we're ready to focus attention on the bottom three layers of the ghost. Using foam tabs, place tabs around the back of the second to the last layer. Then press to adhere to the back layer.
- Repeat the foam tabs with the middle ghost layer.
- The final step for the ghost is to place foam tabs on the back of the top three layers that we previously glued.
- Moving on to the Boo! Place foam tabs on the back of Boo.
- Place Boo! on the ghost.
- To adhere the ghost to the printed background, I doubled the foam tabs for a bit more depth.
- You did it! Pat yourself on the back. Great job!
Please Share Prior To Downloading
Please share! If you enjoy this project/design would you please share it on your social media platform or on your favorite Pinterest board? I greatly appreciate it!! That helps my blog continue to grow and enables me to continue to provide free designs. 💕 Thank you!
Download My FREE Layered Ghost SVG & Printable Background By Subscribing Below To Get The Password To My Freebie Vault
DOWNLOAD the Layered Ghost SVG & Printable Background – Design #147 by entering the password to my Freebie Vault. Click HERE to go to the freebie vault, my library of free downloads. To sign up for a password to my free designs, enter your name and email address below. ⬇️